The History of Macon Country Club
from library, newspaper and old minutes (Membership Booklet 2008)
1928 March 20 – Theodore Gary to erect home on Lake
1928 March 23 – City votes to sell land at Lake to Theodore Gary.
1932 Book by Henry Robbins states: “A nine-hole golf course was built and a
shelter of the log cabin type was built near it. Each hole of the links is a
reproduction of the most noted holes of the most famous course of the
world, so that a recital of a game sounds like an odyssey.” (Called “Gary
1937 Macon Golf Club Incorporated – Dues $15.00
1940 February 19 – Committee appointed to enter into contract with Mr. Charles
Bubany as keeper of the golf course.
1941 February 6 – Voted dues for 1941 to be $20.00
1942 March 6 – Dues $20.00 including 11% Federal Tax. The lease on the
grounds was about to expire and Mr. Gary was agreeable to its renewal
provided certain tax difficulties were taken care of. Jack Ronchetto
employed at $2.00 a day to take care of concessions and to operate the
tractor. Dues to be $18.00. Chamois Yancey employed for $50.00 per
month to take care of the Greens.
1943 Single Women and Men dues $10.00.
All service men in uniform play for free.
Caddies be placed in A & B classes. Class A receives 30¢ and Class B
receives 25¢. When a caddie becomes sufficiently good he will be moved to Class A.
1944 February 11 – Agreed to collect all golf clubs and other golf supplies not
being used to be sent to service men.
1946 February 26 - Recommendations:
1. Green fees be raised from 50¢ to 75¢ on weekdays. $1.50 on
2 . All soft drinks be sold for 10¢.
3. All gambling in clubhouse be eliminated.
4. Sunday morning breakfast be revived.
5. Dues (over 21) $36. (Single & out of town) $18.
1948 July 20 – Letter of Pres. Eggleston from Theodore Gary. His Loomis
Company is SOLD.
1949 February – Course sold to Bert and Pauline Thieman
Resolutions: Not to rent course at $1,028 a year.
Board empowered to liquidate assets.
Finance Committee to hold money in escrow.
1950 Theiman’s build clubhouse (cost $ 2,290.41)
Change hole numbers.
1951 Leased to C.E. “Pete” Goodman (new clubhouse & course) Leased
Log Cabin to Otis Medlin named it "Terrace Top", both leased for $600
1951 October - Mr. Goodman left for the Carolina's.
A non-profit club called “The Macon Golf Club” was organized.
1952 June 16 – Macon Golf Club leased for 5 years. The House & Course
from Theiman’s for $1,000 per year.
1953 June 27 – Theodore Gary Mansion SOLD.
1954 Family membership $36.00, Singles $20.00 (no stock)
1955 Renewed lease for eight (8) years, $1,000 per year.
1959 July 1 - Signed note to purchase. 1st note for $22,500, with a 2nd note
for $900. (payment due July 1, 1960)
1961 Pool and Dining Room added.
1962 July 11 - RECEIVED DEED, at 11:00 a.m. Recorded in book #373
page 332, at Recorder's Office $4.00 recorder's fee paid.
1964 June 6 - Name changed and recorded in Circuit Court. Now known as
the "Macon Country Club". Life of Corporation was changed from 50
years to perpetual. Sold Stock Shares for $200.
1970 New Stock Certificates. Now selling for $100. Initial Fee $100.
1977 New watering systems for fairways, $35,000.
Doris Duckworth offered to sell Log Cabin and surrounding grounds.
1982 Pump Station in City Lake, $28,010.
2000 Zoysia Fairways started.
2012 Pump and motor purchased for pump station $5,353.91.
New controllers and sprinkler heads purchased, shipped, and installed
on course $34,885.80.
Upgraded electrical system in Cart Shed #1 $1,180.
Purchased 2 golf carts for course at a cost of $4,444.95.
Greens mower replaced $3,704.75.
Zoysia strips purchased and installed through donations.
2013 Additional Golf Cart Purchased
New pump installed.
2015 Purchased a Workman 3200 Sprayer Purchased a John Deere 1620 Mower
2019 New Rental Carts Purchased
Major watering system upgrades underway